Using ports and pkg_add over HTTP

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Tue Mar 4 15:02:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:22:20 +0100
Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 March 2008 13:20:05 Attila GOLONCSER wrote:
>
> > is there any possible way to use the FreeBSD package management
> > over HTTP? I can't access FTP from my network. As I know I can
> > install over HTTP, but how can I use
> > pkg_add -r and ports over HTTP?
>
> By setting PACKAGESITE

And for ports, you can add the following in make.conf to make the ports
prefer http servers for distfiles:

MASTER_SORT_REGEX?=  ^http://

(Incidentally I used to do this because my ISP favoured http over ftp in
its traffic shaping)

If you have direct access to an http proxy (webcache), you can also try
setting http_proxy in the environment. This allows ftp urls to be
requested over http, if the proxy supports it.