It is safe to build ports for 7.0 from a 6.3 chroot?

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Tue Mar 4 01:15:07 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 04 March 2008 01:48:37 Bogdan Ćulibrk wrote:
> Jose Garcia Juanino wrote:
> | Hi everybody
> |
> | Actually, I do the following in order to update from 6.3 to 7.0:
> |
> | 1) dump my actual 6.3 filesystems /, /var and /usr into three new
> | ones: /rel70, /rel70/usr and /rel70/var (I use the dump command, of
> | course)
> |
> | 2) chroot /rel70 and mergemaster -p + buildkernel + buildworld +
> | installkernel + installworld + mergemaster -i and such stuff
> |
> | 3) Inside the chroot, rebuild the ports
> |
> | 4) Reboot the new release
> |

> | Will I go into problems following this approach? The step 3) is the most
> | dangerous, I believe, as I have executing 7.0 commands on a 6.3 kernel
> | (even though only for compilation).
>
> 0) Do I need to reinvent wheel?
>

> Joke off. Really, why would you try alternate way of upgrading, when
> there's straight way to do it?

Minimize downtime of services provided by ports?

Jose: take a look at Tinderbox - it does exactly what you want to do: build
ports for OS release X on OS release Y, using chroot. If you're unsure about
your own method, because of OSVERSION or similar, do it using Tinderbox.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.