["solved"] gdm + xdmcp

Daniel Iliev daniel.iliev at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 02:51:32 UTC 2008

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 06:31:39 +0530
Girish Venkatachalam <girishvenkatachalam at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01:10:06 Mar 01, Daniel Iliev wrote:
> > Hi, people
> >

> > I installed FreeBSD using the "7.0-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso" CD
> > image. After I installed Gnome (pkg_add -r gnome2), I was able to
> > start it on the FreeBSD and show it on my GNU/Linux workstation
> > like this:
> >
> > 1) (Xnest :1 &) ; terminal --display=:1
> > 2) in the "Xnested" terminal:
> > ssh -Y bsd.example.org gnome-session &
> > (Ctrl+D)
> >
> > Next I started gdmsetup on the FreeBSD system and enabled "Remote
> > Login" (XDMCP). It was followed by a "gdm-restart". No error
> > messages, everything seems fine, but I can not connect to the
> > FreeBSD box issuing "Xnest -query bsd.example.org :2" from the
> > workstation.
> >
> > The above steps are usually enough to get XDMCP working between
> > GNU/Linux hosts. Actually the reverse scenario works just fine - I
> > was able to get my GNU/Linux Gnome showing on the FreeBSD system via
> > XDMCP. The two hosts are on the same HUB and in the same /24 private
> > network.
> >

> > What am I missing in the FreeBSD setup?

I'm posting this one just for future reference if someone else hits the
same problem.

I rebuilt the kernel w/o IPv6 support (and a bunch of other things I
don't need but they seem irrelevant). After rebooting into the kernel
the gdm started crashing.

"cd /usr/ports/*/gdm ; make deinstall ; make install clean".

The last command brings a configuration menu where I disabled the IPv6
support. After building and installing gdm this way the new instance
speaks XDMCP as expected.

--
Best regards,
Daniel