Internet connection errors on 7.0-STABLE

Ken Peck kenp_89 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 14:37:44 UTC 2008

--- On Sun, 3/2/08, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> Hmmm... This is the only network adapter I can see in your
> boot
> messages.  Which is odd, because the nfe(4) device was
> first supported
> in 7.0 -- were you using ethernet on the machine with 6.3
> at all?
> Did you patch the 6.3 kernel or use a separate NIC card if
> so?
>
> If that hasn't caused a light to dawn, could you send
> the output
> from
>
>     pciconf -lv
>     ifconfig -a   (obfuscate the IP numbers if you really
> must)
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory
> Courtyard
>                                                   Flat 3
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
>                                                   Kent,
> CT11 9PW

Actually, your first comment has brought to light something which I
missed upon searching through my initial configuration.

I just checked my old list of drivers, and as it turns out, I was using
nve(4), not nfe(4).  It appears that I was mislead by the release notes,
thinking that nfe was a replacement for nve, when it was really something
different.

I rebuilt the kernel with nve, and my connection is fixed.  I'll take this
as a lesson to read the documentation three times before making
assumptions.

Thanks, Matthew.