Suggestions for OS to use behind freebsd pf firewalls.

Rico Secada coolzone at it.dk
Sun Mar 2 03:40:11 UTC 2008

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:45:14 -0600
eculp <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:

> I have installed freebsd server in a small company that has approx
> 30 pc's of all sizes, shapes, brands, etc.  They have just realized
> that a large part of the problems that they had before the firewall
> was caused by the 30 windows pc's that were connected directly to
> the ISP's wireless router.  They would like to change the PC's to
> unix desktops.
>
> I would like to install FreeBSD or any other bsd but don't feel that
> we have the drivers available to substitute such a wide variety of
> hardware.  I would love to be proven wrong.  Therefore I am
> considering a linux version with a graphic installer that will make
> it easier to train someone to install on any new machines that they
> add later.  My problem is that I haven't done a linux install since
> before FreeBSD 2.2 IIRC and have no idea which version would be the
> most versatile and has an installer that is basically brain dead
> simple with most all drivers.  I suspect that I am asking the
> impossible but you never know.
>
> I'm sure that I'm not the only person to run into this situation and
> I would sure appreciate any suggestions.

In my experience from similar situations I would recommend OpenSUSE
from Novell, since it has to be as windows "like" as possible. OpenSUSE
is very well supported and since it is Novell who is behind the distro,
the company can provide professional support.

In general I recommend Debian over any distro, but in some rare cases
like this one, I would rather recommend OpenSUSE.