So How Hard Is Moving From 6.3 To 7.0?

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Sun Mar 2 02:21:16 UTC 2008

At 07:12 PM 2/1/2008, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>I have a stable 6.3 production server.  If I buildworld/kernel for 7.0,
>install them, and reboot, will everything pretty much work the same as
>it did under 6.3, or have file locations, userland configuration, etc.
>changed?  Will my 6.3 binaries run unchanged on 7.0 as well?
>
>TIA,
>--
>Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com
>PGP Key:         http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Tim,

I am still working on my first server migration.  I followed the
instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING, but still had problems.  I also did a
portupgrade -faP
to make the ports as per the release notes.  Unfortunately not all worked
after that.

I had issues with apache22 and clamav, so I rebuilt and reinstalled both of
those ports.  I still don't have xorg and gnome working.

So needless to say this is a much longer update process than previous
versions.

I did NOT try the binary update from CD or the new binary update
utility.  I believe most of the issues I have had are because of changes in
the libraries specifically to the threads.

Oh, I started my update on Friday Morning.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.