rsync

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat Mar 1 21:37:14 UTC 2008

On Friday 29 February 2008 19:25:50 Girish Venkatachalam wrote:
> On 18:18:06 Feb 29, Gary Kline wrote:
> > Is there a flag I can set to use with rsync to backup every file of
> > /usr/home/* [here on my FBSD desktop] to my Ubuntu desktop that has
> > only /home/*??
> >
> > Of course, I could always create /usr/home on my other computers. ...
>
> Your question is not clear to me.
>
> I use
>
> $ rsync -avzp --delete /usr/home/* /home
>
> if that is what you are looking for.

What does the "--delete" do?!  I want to make a complete copy of, say,
/usr/home/kline/* from here [tao] to my Ubuntu server, ethos, which has
a "/home" mountpoint--- in otheer words: /home/kline/*.   If the
"--delete /usr/home* /home"  syntax will let rsync rewrite /usr/home to /home,
then fine.

gary

Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix