Having problems with my ports configuration

Patrick Mahan mahan at mahan.org
Sat Mar 1 00:49:12 UTC 2008

Mel presented these words - circa 2/29/08 1:56 PM->
> On Friday 29 February 2008 21:25:06 Patrick Mahan wrote:
>> System Info:
>>
>>    Compaq Presario (AMD Athlon CPU)
>>    256 Mbytes RAM
>>    80 Gig IDE system disk
>>    FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE #0: Tue May 23 14:58:27 UTC 2006
>>
>> I am having problems with my current installed ports.  Last week
>> the drive where /usr/ports is upon (80 Gig IDE) start generating
>> READ errors on the console and hanging the system.  It took a few
>> days of doing multiple reboots, fsck and BIOS work before it was
>> back operating again.
>>
>> One of the issues that came out of this was it seemed that the
>> ports database (/var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db) was corrupt.  So I tried
>> to rebuild it by deleting it and setting PKG_DBDIR).  I issued
>> a 'portsdb -Uu' and it fails -
>
> You're confusing .db's here. /vardb/pkg/pkgdb.db is fixed or rebuilt, using
> pkgdb -F. But read on...

Okay...

>> host# portsdb -Uu
>> Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please
>> wait..p5-DateTime-Calendar-Japanese-0.06001:
>> "/usr/ports/japanese/p5-DateTime-Calendar-Japanese-Era" non-existent --
>> dependency list incomplete
>> ===> devel/p5-DateTime-Calendar-Japanese failed
>> *** Error code 1
>> 1 error
>
> You're missing that directory, fsck probably deleted it. If you wanted to keep
> your old ports tree, you're outof luck without having a backup.
> Otherwise:
> csup -L2 /path/to/ports-supfile

This is cvsup, correct?

> Or use portsnap, or whatever you're comfy with.
>

>> I've tried fetching a new INDEX, done a pkgdb -Fu, but nothing seems to
>> work.
>
> pkgdb -F does nothing? No errors, warnings? Could be your /var/db/pkg is
> damaged as well, if it's the same disk.

pkgdb -F gives the following:

host# pkgdb -F
--->  Checking the package registry database
host#

I'll look at using the other methods.  Is there any way I can hand parse
through the info under /usr/ports to determined everything I have installed?

Thanks,

Patrick