freebsd-update and more information

Zbigniew Szalbot z.szalbot at lc-words.com
Mon Jun 30 12:48:20 UTC 2008

Hello again,

> Not all updates include kernel updates, some are just userland.
> If you are running a GENERIC, unomdified (from CD) kernel, this will be
> updated in the process. freebsd-update shows you a list of updated
> files, and will also show /boot/kernel/kernel if this is updated. You
> will also see source files in /usr/src/sys being updated on a kernel
> update. Since I always run custom kernels, I just watch for changes in
> /usr/src/sys. If there are updates there and you are running a custom
> kernel, you will have to recompile it. Otherwise you don't have to. The
> uname -a command will still report a previous -p<version> until you
> recompile though.

Thanks! How do you go from there? I assume it is not necessary to
download sources since they have already been fetched by freebsd-update.

I also run a custom kernel and I see modification date change in
/usr/src/sys/netinet so that's likely to mean I need to recompile the
kernel. Thank you again!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.LCWords.com