Change in /etc/rc.conf:ipv6_defaultrouter

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Sun Jun 29 17:18:12 UTC 2008

Ashish Shukla ???? ????? wrote:

> |     ipv6_ifconfig_fxp0="2001:470:a80a:1:2d0:b7ff:fe0e:3a4a prefixlen
> | 64"
> |     ipv6_defaultrouter="fe80::213:10ff:fe79:137a"

> I don't know how is above ipv6_defaultrouter setting is working, since
> above is a link-local address, and you've not specified any explicit
> link in above fe80::/10 address. BtW, did you recently changed your
> configuration ? Is this same setting working since you started using
> IPv6 on your FreeBSD host, hmm..?

That configuration has been working, unchanged, for a few months now.
Until recently it used the fxp0 interface, as evidenced by the fact that
it actually worked.  :-)

> Are you trying to ping6 a link-local address, without any mention of
> interface, hmm...?

Again, it worked.  If it hadn't, I would have kept messing with it until
it did.   I host web and mail on that host's IPv6 address and was very
keen in getting it up and running.

> I think above solution is better.

Perhaps.  I'm content with anything that keeps my connectivity up
between reboots.
--
Kirk Strauser