Howto get k3b to detect my Burner

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 12:05:15 UTC 2008

Warren Liddell wrote:
>> cdrecord writes DVDs as well, you just need a more recent version.
>> Try sysutils/cdrtools-devel instead of sysutils/cdrtools.
>>
>> Fabian
>>

> Being that it went to burn anyway, im assuming the burner is aok an is a
> matter of simply finding why k3b dosent detect it OR allow me to add it as a
> device when trying to configure k3b once the program is loaded.

You can use growisofs to burn dvd isos from the command line, should be
something like:

growisofs -Z /dev/cd0=mytest.iso

I was asking you to try k3b because internally it uses these commands to
write. I don't currently have it installed (I am not really a KDE user,
and I write most stuff from the command line anyway) but I think you
probably have a permission problem of some kind.

- Do you have the suid flag on cdrecord and cdrdao?
- Do you have the fstab line suggested by 'showinfo' ?
- Do you have the permissions in devfs.conf ?

and so on.
Sorry for repeating this, but assuming your recorder works from the
command line (and I believe it does), there is nothing really more to
stop k3b from using it. But k3b runs as normal user, and you run the
commands as root. The problems usually start there.

Example:
if you can run cdrecord --scanbus as root, but you do not get the same
result running it as a normal user, you do not have cdrecord installed
as suid root. Then the scan for devices in k3b will probably fail.