gmirror metadata: end of slice or end of disk?

Rudy crapsh at MonkeyBrains.NET
Sat Jun 28 05:38:58 UTC 2008

Mark Boolootian wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to understand exactly where on disk gmirror is going to write
> its metadata,

It just tosses the info in the end of your disk/slice/partition -- I think  ;)

In your example, you had a da1d... you could do partition level mirroring instead of whole disk
level if you want.  While a machine was running ... and you had data on da1d, run
  gmirror label -v -b round-robin gm0d /dev/da1d
  gmirror instert gm0d da0d  (asusming your da0 is what you are mirroring to)
and you would have a 'parition level' gmirror...

You may need to umount the partition... not sure.  Oh, there is the secret
sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16
command as well.  Explained in the reference I always use when using gmirror:
  http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/11/10/FreeBSD_Basics.html

Rudy