to scsi or not to scsi

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Thu Jun 26 23:26:01 UTC 2008

At 03:59 PM 6/26/2008, prad wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:53:00 +0200
>Jos Chrispijn <jos at webrz.net> wrote:
>
> > Have a look at this URL:
> > http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=19
> >
>this was very interesting and thorough.
>and thanks to everyone else who responded especially david and bill.
>unfortunately, david, most of the links on that page you sent don't
>work, but one of them did so that was helpful.
>
>we have a chance to buy 18G scsi at $5 or 36G for $25.
>
>what the seller isn't sure about is whether they will be compatible
>with the particular server.
>
>the server has a 36G seagate (ST336705LC) in it. the 18G are compaqs
>(ultra 3 BD0186398C). do scsi's have any compatibility issues?
>
>also, being older hardware, is there anything to be concerned about
>regarding freebsd7. i know we've had problems getting 7 to boot and
>install from the older cdroms (6.3 was easy), but the ide hds ran just
>fine once 7 was installed.
>
>--
>In friendship,
>prad

Yes those are cheap, and likely rebuilt or used drives.

First pick out your SCSI or RAID card, then be sure the drives you use
match that card.  There are various cable and termination standards for
SCSI, you need to be sure you are using all the same ones on the card and
the drives.

If you are going to use these old drives I would opt to use NEW SATA 300
drives instead.  These new drives will outperform those old SCSI models.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.