Making World For amd64

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Thu Jun 26 22:14:20 UTC 2008

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> Tim Daneliuk wrote:

>>> So, I take it that this means that all the userspace programs, ports,
>>> packages, utilities, etc. do *not* take advantage of the 64-bit
>>> extensions.  That is, only the kernel gets the benefit of the
>>> wider word.  Is that correct?
>>>
>> No, everything is 100% native.
>>
>> Kris
>>

> OK, these may be really stupid questions but:
>
> 1) How does make world know whether to build 32-bit or 64-bit binaries?
>
> 2) Can a binary from a 32-bit FreeBSD system be run unmodified on the
>   64-bit system?
>
> 3) If I reboot with 32-bit or 64-bit kernels, does the system magically
>    somehow make the userland stuff work natively at the word width?
>    If so, how?
>
> TIA,

This might be a really stupid answer :p and maybe I have misunderstood
the context of your question but when you initially downloaded an ISO to
install you already chose whether it is 32 or 64 bit. Everything else,
like which source and ports you get when you upgrade, follows from that
(barring fancy stuff like cross compiling etc)

Chris