Windows > Unix volunteers

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Thu Jun 26 20:01:48 UTC 2008

At 12:44 PM 6/26/2008, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>N. Raghavendra:
>>At 2008-06-26T18:17:19+02:00, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
>>
>>>What is a good place to look for volunteers who would like to modify
>>>Windows source code for an open source software. We have a programme
>>>that changes wallpapers on your desktop but it is only available for
>>>Windows.
>>>
>>>As a FreeBSD fan, I'd love to see it in ports.
>>I guess you have already checked out graphics/chbg, and perhaps some
>>other similar ports, before asking that question.
>Yes, I have. I am not really looking for such software but for a forum
>where people who do UNIX can be found.
>
>FYI - our little software is special one in that it changes backgrounds
>with Bible's life words (www.lcwords.com/en/desktoplive.html).
>
>Anyway, I am not trying to advertise it here, especially that it is for
>Windows. Just trying to find out where to look for people who could be
>interested in porting it into UNIX using our Windows source code, if they
>find it helpful.
>
>I hope I am not offending anyone.
>
>Warm regards,

I was just making the point that from my experience porting code to other
*NIX's I think you will end up with a lot of
#ifdef's

in the code to conditionally compile it for the different window
managers.  It won't be that simple, and you should also decide which window
managers you are going to port the code to.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.