Simple Text Mail Setup

Clayton Scott Kern ckern1 at roadrunner.com
Mon Jun 23 18:08:53 UTC 2008

on 06-23-2008, Rem Roberti wrote:
> On 2008.06.23 15:49:59 +0000, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> >
> > Rem Roberti schrieb:
> > >I am a running a minimalist setup with FreeBSD 7.0.  I would like to be
> > >able to configure my system to allow me to use a text-based mail client
> > >such as Mutt.  So far, I am able to receive mail, fetching my pop mail
> > >from Comcast via getmail.  But I can't send mail because the system
> > >isn't configured for that, and I'm in the dark as how to accomplish it.
> > >Is there somewhere that I can go for info on setting up a simple
> > >configuration which will let me send mail from Mutt?  Sendmail, which of
> > >course is included with FreeBSd, seems kind of nightmarish.
> > Probably you only have to type
> > 	sendmail_enable="YES"
> > into your /etc/rc.conf and reboot.
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Uli.
> >
> > >At any
> > >rate, this is a personal system, and I would like the simplest setup I can
> > >get to work.  Any info would be much appreciated.
> > >
> > >Rem
>

> Well, I have had sendmail enabled, but my outgoing mail gets
> bounced with a message saying that Comcast has blocked the process.  I
> have the feeling that there is a problem with how I am supposed to use
> my hostname.  When I run hostname -r I get .hsd1.ca.comcast.net.  As you
> can tell, I am a relative newbie, and not very well versed in all of
> these things.  But I love the process of trying to get it figured out.
>
> Rem
> >

> > Peter Ulrich Kruppa
> > Wuppertal
> > Germany

I was getting my outgoing email bounced by my ISP and after much
research, I came up with this local.mc file.

You put this file in /etc/mail named <your hostname>.local.mc and run
make install.  This creates the files needed by sendmail.

divert(-1)
#
# Copyright (c) 1983 Eric P. Allman
# Copyright (c) 1988, 1993
#       The Regents of the University of California.  All rights
#       reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
# are met:
# 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
# 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
#    documentation and/or other materials provided with the
#    distribution.
# 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
# software
#    must display the following acknowledgement:
#       This product includes software developed by the University of
#       California, Berkeley and its contributors.
# 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its
# contributors
#    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
#    software
#    without specific prior written permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS''
# AND
# ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
# IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
# PURPOSE
# ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
# LIABLE
# FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
# CONSEQUENTIAL
# DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE
# GOODS
# OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
# HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
# STRICT
# LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY
# WAY
# OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
# SUCH DAMAGE.
#

#
#  This is a generic configuration file for FreeBSD 5.X and later
#  systems.
#  If you want to customize it, copy it to a name appropriate for your
#  environment and do the modifications there.
#
#  The best documentation for this .mc file is:
#  /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README or
#  /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README
#

divert(0)
VERSIONID(`$FreeBSD: src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc,v 1.30.2.4 2007/11/22
16:20:01 gshapiro Exp $')
OSTYPE(freebsd6)
DOMAIN(generic)

FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
FEATURE(local_lmtp)
FEATURE(local_procmail)
FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')

dnl Uncomment to allow relaying based on your MX records.
dnl NOTE: This can allow sites to use your server as a backup MX without
dnl       your permission.
dnl FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX)

dnl DNS based black hole lists
dnl --------------------------------
dnl DNS based black hole lists come and go on a regular basis
dnl so this file will not serve as a database of the available servers.
dnl For that, visit
dnl
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Internet/Abuse/Spam/Blacklists/

dnl Uncomment to activate Realtime Blackhole List
dnl information available at http://www.mail-abuse.com/
dnl NOTE: This is a subscription service as of July 31, 2001
dnl FEATURE(dnsbl)
dnl Alternatively, you can provide your own server and rejection
message:
dnl FEATURE(dnsbl, `blackholes.mail-abuse.org', `"550 Mail from "
$&{client_addr} " rejected, see http://mail-abuse.org/cgi-bin/lookup?"
$&{client_addr}')

dnl Dialup users should uncomment and define this appropriately
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
MASQUERADE_AS(`ISP's domain.com')   *** change this
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`hostname.ISP's domain.com') *** change this
define(`SMART_HOST', `ISP's smtp-server.com') *** change this

dnl Uncomment the first line to change the location of the default
dnl /etc/mail/local-host-names and comment out the second line.
dnl define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/sendmail.cw')
define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/local-host-names')

dnl Enable for both IPv4 and IPv6 (optional)
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv4, Family=inet')
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv6, Family=inet6, Modifiers=O')

define(`confBIND_OPTS', `WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')
define(`confNO_RCPT_ACTION', `add-to-undisclosed')
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,noexpn,novrfy')
MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)
MAILER(procmail)

--