Problem with IF_RE

freebsd at vfemail.net freebsd at vfemail.net
Mon Jun 23 14:08:13 UTC 2008

Dear List Members

I am having an issue with a RealTek card for networking. The card in
question is recognised by FB alright, as you can see in the pciconf
output

re0 at pci0:2:8:0: class=0x020000 card=0x311a1385 chip=0x816910ec
rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
     device     = 'RTL8110SB Single-Chip Gigabit LOM Ethernet Controller'
     class      = network
     subclass   = ethernet

But when I do an ifconfig, the result says Media None and No Carrier

re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
         options=9b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM>
         ether 00:1e:2a:3b:2e:62
         inet x.x.x.x netmask 0xffffffe0 broadcast x.x.x.x
         media: Ethernet none
         status: no carrier

I know for a fact that the cable and the connection is alright -- I
tried with other devices (like Laptops and other desktops), and when I
plug the cable into the RTL card, the light on the switch shows
connection established.

But ifconfig report shows "no carrier" ? ? ?

Any and all help is highly appreciated. I have already CVSupped twice
within this week and built world and kernels from scratch as well.

uname -a
FreeBSD **** 7.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p1 #3: Thu Jun 12
15:24:40 BST 2008

kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
  1   18 0xc0400000 7bdce8   kernel
  2    2 0xc0bbe000 28588    linux.ko
  3    1 0xc0be7000 7558c4   nvidia.ko
  4    1 0xc133d000 7a88     if_re.ko
  5    1 0xc1345000 6921c    acpi.ko
  6    1 0xc35c5000 4000     nullfs.ko
  7    1 0xc4623000 1e000    smbfs.ko
  8    2 0xc4641000 3000     libiconv.ko
  9    2 0xc4644000 3000     libmchain.ko

All practical suggestions and pointers are highly appreciated.

Thanks.