Simple Text Mail Setup

Armando Cambra acambra at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 08:07:15 UTC 2008

On 6/23/08, Rem Roberti <rem at remdog.net> wrote:

> I am a running a minimalist setup with FreeBSD 7.0.  I would like to be
> able to configure my system to allow me to use a text-based mail client
> such as Mutt.  So far, I am able to receive mail, fetching my pop mail
> from Comcast via getmail.  But I can't send mail because the system
> isn't configured for that, and I'm in the dark as how to accomplish it.
> Is there somewhere that I can go for info on setting up a simple
> configuration which will let me send mail from Mutt?  Sendmail, which of
> course is included with FreeBSd, seems kind of nightmarish.  At any
> rate, this is a personal system, and I would like the simplest setup I can
> get to work.  Any info would be much appreciated.
>
> Rem

Hi Rem,

I just installed msmtp this weekend and it seems to work quite well for
sending and queing email. Have a look at the examples, you will even be able
to queue them offline and send them, when you have an internet connection. I
prefer Imap, so instead of fetchmail I use offlineimap. I wanted to be able
to use my whole email archive with the notebook.

Regards

Armando