perl WITH_THREADS= yes or no?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Jun 19 15:52:16 UTC 2008

Should I build ports/lang/perl5.8 WITH_THREADS=yes ?

I run FreeBSD-7.0-stable on old compaq armada1700 laptop.
I don't use perl myself much, but many ports I use rely on it.

How will this affect performance of perl on my laptop?

More to the point, are there any ports which require perl with threads?
For example, can ImageMagick post-build test failures (using PerlMagick,
perl5.8.8 exited on signal 11) be related to the fact that perl is installed
with no threaded support?

many thanks
anton

--