"Fixing" a RAID

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Jun 19 02:27:42 UTC 2008

Ryan Coleman wrote:

> and my tech said "that's a bad sign, you're toast"
> and left me hanging.

Knowing you spanned the drives without parity or backup, there is no
need for me to review the errors.

I agree with your tech. Unless there is a miracle (or you outsource the
entire array to a recovery location), good luck.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

FYI...when you span drives, your single point of failure is an
exponential factor of how many drives you are spanning.

I have done low level disk data recovery before, but describing it is
beyond what I can do via email. Even still, said disk recovery still
relied on the ability for the heads to read off the platter.

If I were you, I'd consider your backup strategy now for that 7TB array
you are building.

Thats a lot of data. You need to be able to go back more than one day.

If nobody else has a suggestion to retrieve the info, you will send it
away.

Steve