"Fixing" a RAID

Ryan Coleman ryan.coleman at cwis.biz
Thu Jun 19 02:25:44 UTC 2008

> Ryan Coleman wrote:
>
> Oh, I completely forgot to ask...
>
> Does the RAID still operate even though one disk is bad?
>
> After all, that is the purpose of RAID-5. stripe, with parity. One
> fails, the other two (or N) keep right on going...
>
> Or, is it a RAID-5 card that you put into operation as a RAID-0 span?
>
> If the latter is the case, good luck ;)

No, I'm not that stupid. :) My old job, we had the big LaCie drives and
one of the 4 250Gs in it would fail and they were f*ed. I went to replace
the drive right away so I wouldn't be in that situation.

When I went to rebuild in the BIOS it failed at 2%, no matter what 250G
drive I put in to fill the spot.