FreeBSD and Greek support

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Thu Jun 19 01:06:22 UTC 2008

Tore Lund wrote:
> Dimitris Giakoudis wrote:

>> applied the settings and installed 'ports/x11-fonts/urwfonts' and
>> everything is in Greek now. I have a problem though when viewing
>> web pages that are encoded with el_GR, there are spaces among the
>> letters and it is really ugly.
>>

> Have you got examples of such web pages?  I read some Greek things on
> the Net, and I have no problem with spaces among the letters.

I know the symptom Dimitris describes and it is easily solved by
installing truetype fonts like the webfonts port or your own truetype
fonts in ~/.fonts
Dimitris you may allso want to check your settings in your shell startup
scripts i.e. (assuming bash)

export LANG=el_GR.ISO8859-7
or
export LANG=el_GR.UTF-8