Keyboard repetition under X11

Chris devnullaccount at yahoo.se
Tue Jun 17 19:54:02 UTC 2008

Hi all,

this is probably a silly question, but I can't find
what I'm doing wrong, so I need help.
I just re-installed my FreeBSD box from 6.0 to 7.0 and
suddenly I can't get my keyboard to repeat when
keeping a key pressed, which has always worked
immediately on all my previous installs.

This is what I have in my xorg.conf (added last line
just to try to force repeat)
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "CoreKeyBoard"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "se"
        Option      "AutoRepeat" "400 30"
EndSection

"xset q" tells me the following:
  Keyboard Control:
    auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED
mask:  00000000
    auto repeat delay:  660    repeat rate:  25
    auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                          fadfffdfffdfe5ef
                          ffffffffffffffff
                          ffffffffffffffff
    bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell
duration:  100

So, as far as I understand, I should have repetition
enabled, but the keyboard isn't responding as
expected. It's not a hardware problem as it still
works on an older FreeBSD machine. The keyboard in
question is a cheap USB keyboard identified as follows
in dmesg in case that is any help:
ukbd0: <Ezkey Ezkey USB Keyboard, class 0/0, rev
1.10/1.00, addr 4> on uhub5

Any help appreciated, as I suspect I've done some
really basic stupidity, but I can't see it.

BR,
  Chris