Replacing tape changer with USB disk drives.

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jun 17 16:26:25 UTC 2008

Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
 > > Cheap controller in the USB enclosure.  I've used quite
 > > a few USB enclosures in the past years, and there are
 > > significant performance differences.  As a rule of thumb,
 > > the cheaper the box, the slower it is.  Of course there
 > > are exceptions to that rule.
 >
 > actually - firewire enclosures are not much more expensive, but you always
 > get at least 40MB/s

Actually they are much more expensive.  And more difficult
to buy.  Most shops here don't have them at all, they only
have USB and eSATA, because most people want USB or eSATA.

I just looked at one of the most popular online shops around
here.  They have about 50 different USB enclosures; prices
start at 10 EUR.  But they have only six Firewire enclosures
(and none of them is 2.5"!), the cheapest one is 34 EUR.

However, they do have a larger number of eSATA enclosures,
about 30 different ones.  But I don't know how well FreeBSD
copes with hot-plugging of eSATA devices; I've never tried
one of these.  I'm not aware of any specific support yet,
but it might work just as well as hot-plug IDE frames.

Best regards
   Oliver

"[...]  one observation we can make here is that Python makes
an excellent pseudocoding language, with the wonderful attribute
that it can actually be executed."  --  Bruce Eckel