Replacing tape changer with USB disk drives.

Christopher Sean Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Mon Jun 16 22:59:46 UTC 2008

I run FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE on a file server and until recently used a
Tape Changer for backups. I'm considering my options for a new backup
solution. I'm actually thinking of ditching tape and using an
externally attached USB or Firewire disk drive.

My experimentation isn't giving me good feelings about doing this with
FreeBSD. To start this off I installed an Adaptec USB 2.0 interface
into my server. In the time that I've been working with it I notice
that it periodically bogs down and that it has the potential to panic
the kernel and cause a reboot. I recognize that this could be:

      The USB card that I'm using.

      The chipset in the USB enclosure that I'm testing with.

Has anyone gone this route? If so what was your experience?

-- Chris

Chris Hilton                       tildeChris -- http://myblog.vindaloo.com
                                         email -- chris/at/vindaloo/
dot/com
.~
~
.--.~
                          "I'm on the outside looking inside, What do
I see?
                                Much confusion, disillution, all
around me."
                                          -- Ian McDonald / Peter