Is FreeBSD suitable for my thinkpad T61 ?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Jun 13 16:55:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:02:51AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >It depends how much of a hacker you are. If you want out-of-the-box and
> >you don't mind kde then choose between pcbsd or desktopbsd. If you want
> >out-of-the-box and gnome I think you are out of luck. If you don't mind
> >diy FreeBSD is your toolbox.
>
> if you want out of the box "cool desktop" use Windows, because it's a
> system made for this.

Is this meant to be trolling?

For glitzy, bells-and-whistles desktop featuritis, I find that open
source Unix-like OSes actually do better in general than MS Windows Vista
and even MacOS X (though at least with MacOS X you can install the X
Window System and get much the same functionality that you can with a
Linux distribution or BSD Unix system):

  http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=335

For actual productivity-enhancement, assuming you're a highly competent
computer user, I'd recommend against any of the GUI systems discussed at
that URL, and stick to window managers that just stay the heck out of
your way.  Good candidates include things like wmii, AHWM, Fluxbox, and
Sawfish.  Most people seem to prefer something between the two, however.

If someone wanted a "cool" desktop "experience", though, MS Windows is
about the last place I'd send 'em.

Well, okay, maybe I'd send someone there before OpenVMS, but that's kind
of getting far afield.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Marvin Minsky: "It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer