new hardware - compatible?

Brad Mettee bmettee at pchotshots.com
Thu Jun 12 14:02:19 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm new to FreeBSD and don't have a lot of time to go digging through
archives/info to find answers, so excuse this if it's a "noob" question.
It's an emergency server build, and needs to be solid and fast.

Will FreeBSD have any problems running on the following hardware? Which
would be better FreeBSD 6.3 or 7?

Intel Quad Core Extreme 3Ghz, LGA775
Asus P5K-E Motherboard (P35 chipset, Onboard LAN)
4G Kingston DDR 2 RAM (PC2 6400)
Seagate 500G, SATA 2, 7200RPM
GeForce 7200GS 128MB 32-bit GDDR2 PCI-E x16 Video Card (basically a cheap
vid card)
Samsung SATA CD-ROM

Thanks in advance.

(I've been building/running x86 boxes since DOS 3.3, just haven't had need
of *nix environment yet, so I'm not total noob)

         Brad Mettee
         PC HotShots, Inc.
         Baltimore, MD
         (410) 426-7617

      -> Let us bring out the *Power* of your PCs. <-
-> Custom Business Software Solutions since 1991 <-

visit http://www.pchotshots.com for information about our company.