two monitors, two displays, one PC

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Thu Jun 12 07:36:04 UTC 2008

> In the last 4 months I bought a new monitor to replace the one that clunked
> out in me.  I am currently using it with an old PS2 type keyboard and mouse
> attached to a creaky old desktop that will eventually be replaced.  Likely I
> will want to replace it with a laptop with wifi and a lot more memory and
> hard drive so that I can take it with me.  Can I still use the old monitor as
> a second display?
>
> Can this be done?  Is it done?  What are the issues?

Xorg support 2 monitors.
be default you will simply get two X displays (:0.0 and :0.1), first
default, and use second by
DISPLAY=:0.1 program

or you may use Xinerama in X11 that creates one virtual display from two.

if you have 2 monitors, two keyboards and two mice, you may use it as
2-use system with patched X11, i made a patch but a long time ago, it will
not work ouf of the box with new Xorg