FreeBSD and User Security

YANSWBVCG daf
Wed Jun 11 21:03:13 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:25:32PM +0200, David Naylor wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Today I read an article describing how my government had lost ZAR200 000 000
> from fraud.  This is just under $25 000 000.  The article credited this loss
> largely due to the use of spyware.
>
> My question is how secure is FreeBSD (including KDE, GNOME and XFCE) to
> attacks, including cracking and spyware.  In addition, is there anyway to
> prevent a user from executing a program that is not owned by root (i.e. any
> program installed by the user), this would prevent spyware being installed
> (assuming root has been properly locked down) and subsequently run.
>
> If anyone, in addition, has answers for Linux and *BSD it would be great to
> know as well.
>
> Best Regards
>
> David

It is my understanding that since 1995 all computers must have a
hardware back door that permits undetectable access by the government to
the computer. This capability can be implemented using System
Monitor(Maintenance) Mode which is built into all x86 computers now. It
would appear that, if you are connected to the internet, the government
has access to your computer.