FreeBSD-like linux distro?

Jon Hamilton hamilton at pobox.com
Wed Jun 11 20:30:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, June 11, 2008 04:54, Heikki Suonsivu wrote:
> I need to get something to run on x86 computers which do not contain
> math in hardware, and FreeBSD dropped non-math cpus long time ago. NetBSD
> did the same, so Linux seems to be the only possibility.
>
> So, the question:
>

> What is the linux distro which is closest to FreeBSD in terms of
> installation and use.  A linux with basic userland and ports(-like) system,
> and quick and easy install like FreeBSD ?

Heikki,

Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org) is a pretty easy install and is the most
closely aligned Linux distribution I've seen to the "build it from source"
mentality.  It's gotten fancier over the years but still has at its core
the notion of building blocks and doesn't push binary package distribution
the way most seem to these days.  Whether it'll install on an FPU-less
system I don't know.  Might be worth a look.

Please do report back with what you ultimately find works; this is a
source of interest for me and I'm sure others.

--
Jon Hamilton
hamilton at pobox.com