generating random passwords

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Wed Jun 11 16:35:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008, Roland Smith wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 09:20:30AM +0200, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Excuse me my ignorance. Is there a utility in FreeBSD that would allow
>> me to generate random passwords without actually creating any accounts
>> or modifying existing ones? I am looking for something to allow me to
>> generate a random string of characters. I know I can randomly hit the
>> keyboard but if anything like that exists, many thanks for your advice. :)
>
>Using FreeBSD's random device:
>tcsh syntax:
>( dd if=/dev/random bs=6 count=1 | openssl base64 > /dev/tty ) > & /dev/null
>
>sh syntax:
>dd if=/dev/random bs=6 count=1 2>/dev/null| openssl base64

I much prefer apg which can generate more-or-less pronounceable
passwords which it is possible to remember (at least after typing
them a few times :-).

One of the biggest problems with random passwords is that they
end up written on yellow-stickies on the monitor or under the
keyboard.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

With Congress, every time they make a joke it's a law; and every time
they make a law it's a joke.
		-- Will Rogers