Similar Experience/Forget Hardy

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Wed Jun 11 14:45:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 07:42:27PM +0930, Brian Astill wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:05:47 pm Mike Bird wrote:
> >
> > All we need is stable unadulterated versions of most packages,
> > a real binary package manager (sorry Gentoo and Slackware), and
> > a recent kernel and graphics support.  Compared to Ubuntu that
> > would be a lot more value for a lot less effort.  If anyone
> > knows of a distro like this I really want to hear about it.
>
> Mike Bird for President!  Yeh!
> I guess that imaginary distro is exactly what I want.
> (thinks .... )  Would v7 of FreeBSD qualify?

Well it's got a recent kernel, it's got Xorg 7.3 and it's got binary
package management but it hasn't got Adobe Flash ATM.

An Ubuntu user would be better pointed at PC-BSD or DesktopBSD. They
aim at ease of use:

http://www.pcbsd.org/
http://www.desktopbsd.net/

IIRC they use the 6.3 kernel (which is currently supported & pretty
much as recent as 7.0) and they use KDE rather than Gnome. They also
have support forums aimed at new users, the FreeBSD mailing lists tend
to be more technical.

I can't comment as to how good either is as I've used neither but
they've had positive write-ups.

I use FreeBSD 7.0 on my workstation & 6.3 on my server so I know the
underlying system is sound.

> --
> Regards,
> Brian