OT: lots of IPv6 DNS requests

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Jun 11 00:26:50 UTC 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>>> no it is not! that's why i'm asking.
>>
>> Oh, for heaven's sake.  We all know you like to shoot off your mouth.
>> Now go back to my mail and read it ALL THE WAY THROUGH BEFORE YOU
>> ANSWER AGAIN. Jeez.
>>
> so maybe you should explain clearer because i do read what you write.

In summary, what he means is this:

You have a (perhaps legacy) DNS server running as dns3.tensor.gdynia.pl
(RRs snipped for brevity):

pearl# dig aaaa dns3.tensor.gdynia.pl
dns3.tensor.gdynia.pl.  21682   IN      AAAA    2001:4070:101:2::1

...which appears to be the same IP address as your workstation.

pearl# dig AAAA wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl. 4732   IN      AAAA    2001:4070:101:2::1

...however, any attempt to gather information from dns3. simply fails,
due to your administrative policy (named not allowing outside networks).

I'm willing to bet that you will see attempts from 2607:f118::b6 (or
::b7) in your workstation logs as rejected for AAAA lookups.

I don't see any reference to dns3. in the WHOIS, so perhaps it has been
removed recently.

Any provider who still has this dns3 server listed as a possible
authoritative name server may round-robin to it and produce the logs on
your workstation you are witnessing. It is very possible that this
server is still listed as a NS for the domain and I just didn't look
hard enough for it.

FYI (IMHO), this type of question would be better suited for
freebsd-net at . You would likely have far more eyes on your question over
there by people who focus primarily on this sort of thing.

Steve