BSDstats: May Statistics - 23 998 Hosts Reported In

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Thu Jun 5 05:35:38 UTC 2008

As of June 5th, 2008, the project is seeing 23 998 hosts reporting in, with a
break down as follows:

           PC-BSD           14 715 hosts
           FreeBSD           6 331 hosts
           DesktopBSD        2 662 hosts
           NetBSD              108 hosts
           MirBSD               68 hosts
           OpenBSD              59 hosts
           DragonFly            27 hosts
           MidnightBSD          22 hosts
           GNU/kFreeBSD          6 hosts

We currently have hosts being reported in from 121 countries, with the top 10
being:

           United States           5 639
           Russian Federation      1 653
           Germany                 1 489
           Australia               1 314
           Brazil                  1 242
           Japan                   1 004
           France                    823
           United Kingdom            822
           Ukraine                   790
           Canada                    747

Project URL: http://www.bsdstats.org

Project Objective:

"The mission of this site is to compile semi-accurate numbers for advocacy and
marketing of the *BSD operating systems."

PC-BSD, to the best of our knowledge, is the only one that defaults to enabled,
while the rest have to be enabled manually.

For FreeBSD users, you just need to install /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats to set
things up.

If you aren't participating, we very much encourage you to start ... the report
script is a shell script, so you can scan it to figure out what, exactly, is
being sent in .. and there is only one level of reporting that is  required,
and that is Operating System + Version ... Device and Ports reporting are 100%
optional ...

For those that are participating ... once more, thank you ... and spread the
word, we need more ...

Thanks to the folks at PC-BSD, we have a new PHP programmer that will be
working with Antony Mawer towards cleaning up / finishing some of the
outstanding areas of the web site, so expect to see some improvements in
statistics reporting over the next few weeks.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me ...

- --
Marc G. Fournier        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A. (http://www.hub.org)