Vmware/Xorg blues

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Thu Jun 5 05:09:40 UTC 2008

kevin kempter wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>
>> kevin kempter wrote:
>>> Hi All;
>>>
>>> This seems to be more of a lib not found than a vm issue:
>>>

>>> I've done this:
>>>
>>> 1) installed freeBSD 7 in vmware fusion (v 1.1.3)
>>>
>>> 2) selected to install vmware tools from the menu
>>>
>>> 3) logged into the console as root
>>>
>>> 4) mounted the vmware virtual cd
>>>
>>> 5) copied the vmware tools tar.gz file to /tmp
>>>
>>> 6) expanded the vmware tools tar.gz file in /tmp
>>>
>>> 7) cd to the new vmware-toold-distrib dir and ran ./vmware-install.pl
>>>
>>> Then I get this:
>>>

>>> Before running VMware Tools for the first time you need to configure
>>> it by invoking the following command:
>>> "/usr/local/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl". Do you want this program to
>>> invoke the command for you now? [yes]
>>>

>>> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "lib.so.6" not found,
>>> required by "vmware-checkvm"
>>>
>>> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "lib.so.6" not found,
>>> required by "vmware-checkvm"
>>>
>>> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "lib.so.6" not found,
>>> required by "vmware-checkvm"
>>>
>>> This configuration program is to be executed in a virtual machine.
>>>

>>> Execution aborted.
>>>

>>> I also tried starting KDE and in a Konsole terminal window (as root)
>>> running /usr/local/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl  and I get the same
>>> results
>>>

>>> Anyone have any thoughts?
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance...
>>>

>> Funny thing, I was doing the same steps today in vmware workstation
>> ;) Had the same problems, and the following is the solution:
>>
>> Install the compat6x port. Seems the vmware tools are for the 6.X
>> version of FreeBSD, not native 7.
>>
>> As root:
>>
>> cd /usr/ports/misc/compat6x
>> make install clean
>>
>> Also, create the following symbolic link (This is where vmware
>> searches for the library):
>>
>> ln -s /usr/local/lib/compat/libc.so.6    /lib
>

> Thanks for the advice, this allowed me to install the vmware tools.
>
> I had the vm in such a state that I thought it best to start from
> scratch, so I did the following:
>
> 1) installed freeBSD7 into a new VM
> 2) Followed the steps above to install the compat6x lib and created
> the link to /lib
> 3) installed the vmware-tools
> 4) ran the vmware-config (/usr/local/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl)
> 5) installed kde via pkg_add -r kde
> 6) created a .xinitrc for root like this:
>     echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc
> 7) tried to start kde by running startx and I get an error that the
> driver "vmware" in the xorg config file does not exist.
>
> I've attached the log from my attempt to start kde (Xorg.0.log) - from
> /var/log
> and my xorg.conf file (from /etc/X11)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help...
>
> /Kevin

Ok, the xorg-vmware driver is not by default selected to be built in the
xorg port, and as the pre-built packages use the default options,  you
are simply trying to use a driver you have not installed. As the vmware
driver does not seem to exist as a  package, compile it from ports:

cd /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware
make install clean

And you should be on your way.
However I would suggest you create (and possibly edit) your own
xorg.conf file:

X -configure

(This make get you a blank screen on vmware, it does it to me everytime,
in this case just ssh in from somewhere else and reboot the machine, or
press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE and blindly type 'reboot')

Test your settings with

X -configure /root/xorg.conf.new

Edit the file and make any necessary changes, and move it to the final
location:

mv /root/xorg.conf.new   /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You can get more info on all the above in the X11 chapter of the FreeBSD
Handbook, in the configuration section:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html