Storing a copy of queued mail?

Jerahmy Pocott quakenet1 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jun 4 09:31:02 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a 6.3 system running as a mail server, offering imap, pop3 and
smtp. The smtp server can be used from anywhere because all users are
required to authenticate with SMTP AUTH and it supports TLS. This is
using sendmail 8.14.2.

What I would like to do is have any mail submitted to the SMTP server
to get automatically stored into an imap mailbox (I'm using mbox
format currently) for that user, preferably based on the username they
supplied to authenticate, but it could also be by the 'mail from:'
field. Previously I have been configuring the users mail clients to do
this, but they have proven completely unreliable and of course they
may use different clients at different locations etc. Obviously having
the server do this is still not 100% reliable, since they could still
possibly use a different SMTP server, but I'm not going to worry about
that currently as it's unlikely to happen often.

It's sort of an unusual thing to have the MTA do, so I'v not been able
to find anything about how I can get this to happen.. I thought maybe
there might be a way to get the sent mail to be processed through
procmail or something first.. Any thoughts on the best way to make
this happen?

Cheers,
J.