Group Limits

Michael Christie michael at powerzone.net.au
Thu Jul 31 10:02:59 UTC 2008

Ruben de Groot wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 01:24:02AM +0200, Roland Smith typed:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 07:32:23AM +1000, Michael Christie wrote:
>>

>>> Can any one advise me how to expand the number of groups allow on
>>> freebsd I think my default it is 16, I need to make it 50 to 100
>>>
>> The number 16 is from /usr/include/sys/syslimits.h. But my /etc/group
>> has 37 groups without problems.
>>

> That's not the point.
> The limit is not on the total number of groups, but on the number of
> groups a user can be a member of.
>
> Ruben

well if this is the case , is there a way of changing the number of
groups a user can be a member of ? what i need is some advice on a work
around for this, I have Google  and there in not much. see below

http://readlist.com/lists/lists.sourceforge.net/webadmin-list/1/7087.html

"Ok have do some hours of work since my last post and have discovered
the following. When a virtual domain is created using virtualmin it
creates a user and a group with the same name ie user name king1 and
group king1. Then it adds the newly created group king1 to the www group
which is fine see below. This is fine for awhile until to many groups
are members of the www group and apache complains and will not start
also see below. "

Michael