Having some problems with a FreeBSD mail server (SMTP)

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 00:36:21 UTC 2008

Hi,

I run a mail server for my church.  Today I was called that folks are able to
receive, but not send their mail.  They are all currently configured for POP3
(I use dovecot).

At home I tried to send mail to two different e-mail accounts of mine using
the church e-mail server and was successful.  I used KMail for this.

As I look through /var/log/maillog I do not even see authid=<their_user_ids>
in the mail log (I'm using TLS with sendmail).  One of the pastor's told me
the error he's seeing is "timeout."  They are using Outlook, I'm not sure of
the version.  What problems do people here usually encounter with Outlook
mail clients and their SMTP servers?

At this point, I'd just like to have some leads.  Any ideas what might be
keeping them from sending?  They can all log in and receive e-mail POP3.

Thanks,
Andy