Group Limits

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 30 23:24:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 07:32:23AM +1000, Michael Christie wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am running webmin and virtualmin  on freebsd  7.0,  I have  found when
> i add a number of domains using virtualmin and restart apachie i get the
> following error.
>
> [alert] (22)Invalid argument: initgroups: unable to set groups for User
> www and Group 80...    Apachie will not start..
>

>  it happens when the 'apache' or 'httpd' user is a member of too many
> groups. By default, Virtualmin adds the user Apache runs as to each
> domain's group, which eventually triggers this problem.

See group(5):

     In older implementations, a group cannot have more than 200 members.  The
     maximum line length of /etc/group is 1024 characters.  Longer lines will
     be skipped.  This limitation disappeared in FreeBSD 3.0.

> Can any one advise me how to expand the number of groups allow on
> freebsd I think my default it is 16, I need to make it 50 to 100

The number 16 is from /usr/include/sys/syslimits.h. But my /etc/group
has 37 groups without problems.

In /usr/include/sys/_types.h and /usr/include/sys/stat.h  gid_t is
defined as __uint32_t, a 32 bits unsigned integer.

Roland