local mirrors of ports and packages?

DA Forsyth iwrtech at iwr.ru.ac.za
Wed Jul 30 07:17:54 UTC 2008

On 30 Jul 2008 , freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org entreated
about
 "freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 226, Issue 6":

> Yes, I am currently rsyncing:
> ftp://ftp.is.co.za/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/
>
> Is this the correct data? And where in FreeBSD do I change the mirror
> list or installation source?

type 'man make.conf'
look for 'master site backup'.
but, you don't need to download all the packages, only the ones you
need to install, surely?   When I test installed 7.0R I burnt a set
of CD's that contain most common packages for the basic install.
After that I fetched ports as needed (after updating the ports tree
of course).

However, you will find a number of ports that only exist in their own
hosts, and never appear on the usual servers, so having a mirror
won't help.

If you are installing several boxes with the same packages, then
download to one and transfer the package files to the  others
locally.  You can do this via flash stick, NFS, ftp, scp, samba
share, and probably many other ways.  You can also create packages
from ports and then transfer your newly created package as needed (I
do this for my print servers which have a minimal install and do not
have a full ports tree)

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research