whatkind of 19" LCD display??

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Tue Jul 29 20:24:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:27:37PM -0500, Preston Hagar wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> wrote:
> >

> > I really like the Dell, both because of their outstanding contrast and
> > brightness, no dead pixels in any of my LCDs, and the fact that they come with
> > multiple interfaces which are switch selectable from the front panel.  The old
> > 20" units had 4 jacks (RCA, S-Video, VGA, and DVI).  Really convenient.  The new
> > 24" one, beyond being able to run native 1920X1080 for HiDef Video, it's got
> > about 10 different jacks.  Looks it up the web, the Dell pages describe it best,
> > and the contrast on that 24" has to be seen to be believed.  I actually turned
> > it down!
>
> I would second the Dell's, specifically the UltraSharp line.  I have a
> 19" Ultrasharp as my primary monitor and a 19" Dell "Standard" as a
> secondary monitor.  The Ultrasharp has DVI and VGA, a built in USB hub
> and is great to look at.

	Thanks, Preston.

	So:: boiling it down to a make and a line, now Chuck [[ and you ]]
	give thumbs-up on the Dell.  "UltraSharp", rt?

	A personal note from the cheapes--er, *thriftiest* guy alive:
	for a new display, price isn' the driving force.  it's quality--
	which includes durabiility, function, &c.  (actually, i wouldn't
	mind 19+.) 20" [[[ and when the hell are we going to join the 18th
	Century and go-metric?! ]]] ....20" is about the max since i cram
	as many xterms with tiny fonts as possible.  so
	brightness+contrast matter.   [[ if i could get out easily, i
	might check out the 24" ... but that would only give me LCD-envy!!
	--ah, *life* :-| ]]

	Anyhow, ao far, i'm looking at the Hanns-G, the Samsung SyncMaster
	(941BW), And possobily the VIewSonic.  And the Dell UltraSharp.

	(gReat if Costco has these; but i'll try egghead.com too.)

	Anybody here in the States have any other recommmendation,
	plese gimmmee a shout:-)

	gary