wget vs fetch

Marcel Grandemange thavinci at thavinci.za.net
Mon Jul 28 10:28:00 UTC 2008

I have a problem with a box I upgraded from FreeBSD 6.2 To FreeBSD7

It seems the following is happening when I try use portupgrade -a or even
building ports.

ALL transfers that are FTP fail.

Now to make this simple, I have following environmental variables set..

http_proxy=http://192.168.12.4:3128/

ftp_proxy=http://192.168.12.1:3128/

FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES

And here is the strange thing..

Fetch fails, but if I use wget there is no problem.

The firewall does allow ftp to go directly aswell, so I have also tried
leaving out any and all proxy settings, this fails aswell. (Except for wget
once again)

And here is the crux.

I have 5 mahcines on SAME network that has no issues like this, so this
makes me think fetch is broke somehow.

How can I force FreeBSD to use wget instead of fetch to bypass this?

Ive tried setting env FETCH_CMD=wget but that results in wget failing with
msg:

Try `wget --help' for more options.

=> Attempting to fetch from http://mirror.sg.depaul.edu/pub/security/nmap/.

wget: invalid option --