malloc options

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sat Jul 26 22:17:56 UTC 2008

I have a program that has run correctly since FreeBSD 3.7.  However,
when upgrading the server to 7.0 I am encountering issues where values
just seem to arbirtrarily change.  These values are all located in
memory allocated by malloc.  Malloc was significantly changed with 7.0
and reading through the malloc man page there are a number of flags
that can be set with /etc/malloc.conf.  The default for that file is
to not exist.  The man page does not indicate which settings are used
in that situation.  After reading through it I get the feeling that
the default settings for D and M are 'dM'.  Hence, to return to the
older malloc aproach to see if the problems go away I would need to
set "Dm".  But some of the descriptions seem to indicate that might
not be correct.  What are the default settings?