Sendmail local LAN delivery

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Thu Jul 24 18:59:38 UTC 2008

At 06:30 AM 7/24/2008, Bruno Joho wrote:
>Hi folks
>
>we have a inside the Lab (Class B Net, eg: bnet.ourdomain.com) several
>workstations (eg: host1.intra015.bnet.ourdomain.com) in different
>Class C Net (eg.intra015.bnet.ourdomain.com). There is a Mail Hub
>outside the Class B Net which communicates with the Internet and
>delivers
>the mails sent by the workstations. All workstations have a
>"Smarthost" entry in the cf file. Incoming mails are collected by the
>mailhub, which
>provides IMAP and POP access for all workstations. No mail coming from
>the Internet will be delivered directly to the workstations.
>Everything
>works fine, exept one (small) problem. How can I configure the
>sendmal.cf from the local workstations to send the mail addressed to a
>neighbour
>workstation (eg. from host1.intra015.bnet.ourdomain.com to
>host2.intra016.bnet.ourdomain.com) directly. Sending it to the mailhub
>and then sending
>it back to the Intranet is no option due to firewall restrictions.
>
>I apreciate any help, thanks
>
>Bruno

Bruno,

If I understand your question correctly, you will need to smarthosts, one
on the LAN side, and one on the WAN/internet side.  You will have to setup
the LAN smarthost to forward mail to the WAN smarthost that it cannot
deliver.  You will have to enable the LAN smarthost and WAN smarthost to be
able to pass mail through your firewall.  Sendmail uses DNS for most host
resolution, so you will need to setup MX records for the various LAN hosts
to go to the LAN smarthost.

Hope this helps.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.