Port Management on a larger scale

Derek Belrose derekb at realgeeky.com
Wed Jul 23 21:24:34 UTC 2008

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've inherited a fairly large
number of FreeBSD servers.  All of them are running 6.3.

What is the recommended way of doing port management?  Or if there
isn't a recommended way of updating ports on 10-15 servers, what do
people do?  How do you handle port upgrades that deal with custom
compile configurations (such as exim with postgresql)?  Do you build a
port on one system and install it as a package on all the others?

I come from a Slackware background, and in the past I would compile
the update on a test system then distribute and install to all the
other servers.

Thanks for your input!
Derek