The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System

FreeBSD Questions ml.freebsd.questions at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 12:41:07 UTC 2008

> Yet your point is completly valid one.. and that's why "The Design and
> Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System" is the only book that I've
> been hesitant on buying so far ... Lucas (Absolute FreeBSD, 2nd Edition),
> Lavigne (The Best of FreeBSD Basics), Kong (BSD rootkits),  Lehey (Download
> edition:) ) are all over my desktop as I write this mail, and I consult them
> daily ... Farrokhi (Network Administration with FreeBSD) and Hong (Building a
> Server with FreeBSD 7) are the ones coming in the next batch ...

Has anyone on the list read "Building a Server with FreeBSD 7: A
Modular Approach"?  The description on bookpool.com makes it sound a
little basic/superficial, covering topics such as how to install
FreeBSD and how to install/configure programs via the ports.  I'm
already very familiar with these topics; does anyone know if this book
covers more advanced topics or details like the nitty-gritty of
configuing sendmail, apache, samba, NFS, etc?

And what about "Absolute FreeBSD"?  It's updated for FreeBSD 7, so I
know it's current.  Is it a "good book"?  Is it worth the read?  How
valuable is its content?  (I know I'm asking some very subjective
questions, but if I'm going to spend hundreds of $$$ to build my
library in this area, I'd like at least a couple of opinions about the
books I buy.)

> So far .. there are only three books I would have bought but I didn't because
> I thought the situation could improve ... those are: "The Design and
> Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System", "BSD Hacks" and "The FreeBSD
> HandBook"... same reason for all of them .. too old by now (although I think
> I'll buy "BSD Hacks" anyways .. I just can't resist buying Lavigne books :( )

Personally, I don't think I'd ever buy "The FreeBSD Handbook".  It's a
really good resource, but as long as it's actively updated
electronically it's too dynamic to buy a hardcopy.  I'd much rather
read it online where I can get the latest revisions.

Kevin