Java

Greg Larkin glarkin at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 22 20:10:07 UTC 2008

Dave wrote:
| On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 03:31:14PM -0400, Greg Larkin wrote:
|>
|> Andrew Gould wrote:
|> | On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Greg Larkin <glarkin at freebsd.org>
wrote:
|> |

> [...]
|> |
|> |
|> | I just downloaded diablo-caffe for FreeBSD7 (i386) with similar
results:
|> |
|> | # pkg_add diablo-caffe-freebsd7-i386-1.6.0_07-b02.tar.bz2
|> | pkg_add: unable to open table of contents file '+CONTENTS' - not a
|> package?
|> |
|> | Andrew
|>
|> Ok, I finally see what's going on here.  The web page reads:
|>
|> Packages
|>
|> ~    --Available Soon
|>
|> Tarballs
|>
|> ~    These Tarballs were used to generate the packages. They are useful
|> if you don't use packages or as distribution files for the diablo ports.
|>

|> All you are downloading is a tarball that can be extracted directly into
|> /usr/local.  Once the packages are available, they will be posted to the
|> page, and you'll be able to use pkg_add to manage them.
|>
|> This is the fully fleshed-out page for Java 5:
|> http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java15.shtml
|>
|> Hope that helps,
|> Greg
|
| OK, I understand. Is there any documentation about enviroment changes
| (paths,symbols,load paths) needed to make Java work?

Hi Dave,

I think your best bet is to install the java/javavmwrapper
(http://www.freshports.org/java/javavmwrapper/) port.  That script
configures the proper Java environment variables for you and allows you
to switch between JVMs, if you have more than one.

Best regards,
Greg
- --
Greg Larkin