Java

Greg Larkin glarkin at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 22 19:31:19 UTC 2008

Andrew Gould wrote:
| On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Greg Larkin <glarkin at freebsd.org> wrote:

|> Dave wrote:
Java
FreeBSD

|> |
|> | OK. I visited the link and  downloaded the JDK and JRE for Freebsd
7, but
|> | pkg_add fails, saying it cannot decode the CONTENTS file. I ran
|> bunzip2 to get
|> | tar files, but pkg_add fails with the tar file too. What's the proper
|> way to
|> | pkg_add these two files to get a working Java system?
|> |
|> | Thanks.
|>
|> Hi Dave,
|>
|> Can you post the exact output from pkg_add when it fails to install the
|> files your downloaded?  That will probably help me or someone else here
|> troubleshoot the problem.
|>
|> Best regards,
|> Greg
|> - --
|> Greg Larkin
|>  <http://www.sourcehosting.net/>
|

| I just downloaded diablo-caffe for FreeBSD7 (i386) with similar results:
|
| # pkg_add diablo-caffe-freebsd7-i386-1.6.0_07-b02.tar.bz2
| pkg_add: unable to open table of contents file '+CONTENTS' - not a
package?

| Andrew

Ok, I finally see what's going on here.  The web page reads:

Packages

~    --Available Soon

Tarballs

~    These Tarballs were used to generate the packages. They are useful
if you don't use packages or as distribution files for the diablo ports.

All you are downloading is a tarball that can be extracted directly into
/usr/local.  Once the packages are available, they will be posted to the
page, and you'll be able to use pkg_add to manage them.

This is the fully fleshed-out page for Java 5:
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java15.shtml

Hope that helps,
Greg
- --