Monitoring CPU temperature: mbmon shows 201 degrees C

Achilleas Mantzios achill at matrix.gatewaynet.com
Tue Jul 22 06:43:46 UTC 2008

Στις Tuesday 22 July 2008 00:25:46 ο/η Tore Lund έγραψε:
> Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> > Having said that, the issue with the temperature must not be my thing :(
> > after kldload coretemp, i get
> > [achix at panix ~]% sysctl -a | grep tempera
> > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 40,0C
> > dev.cpu.0.temperature: -1
> > [achix at panix ~]%
> > The first always is stuck to 40 and dev.cpu.0.temperature to -1.
>
> Achillea, have you told us what CPU you have?  Manolis presumes you have
> an Intel, but I do not see this information anywhere in your posts.  If
> you have a recent AMD, try the port k8temp.

Sorry, i have a
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz (2672.74-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf29  Stepping = 9
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x4400<CNXT-ID,xTPR>
So coretemp is not for me.
While experimenting, i noticed the 1st and 3rd temperatures from mbmon to be updated in a fashion that seems
natural.
[achix at panix ~]% mbmon
Temp.= 41.0, 201.0, 42.0; Rot.= 3443,    0,    0
Vcore = 1.50, 1.81; Volt. = 3.30, 5.08, 11.43, -11.74, -1.69

I started to trust mbmon, and i think the 1st temp must be motherboard, while the 3rd CPU,
and indeed the first value varies betaeen 41-42 degrees, and the third value from 39, (~ 100% idle)
to 45 (0% idle). So i assume the above must be right.
Yesterday i had mbmon -t > mbmon.out running all night and the highest CPU temp was at 46 deg C,
while highest MB temp was at 43 deg Celsius (if the previous assumptions about the interpretation of the
output of mbmon are correct).
Both high temps happened while running periodic daily at 03:00 (which increased my trust in those).
All that, was after i blew the box/case inside and closed the case.
If i trust those numbers and their interpretation then i must not have a temperature problem (anymore).
Lets see how the machine behaves.
There is always the other usual suspect from the memory department :)

--
Achilleas Mantzios