Monitoring CPU temperature: mbmon shows 201 degrees C

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 19:44:51 UTC 2008

Achilleas Mantzios wrote:

>> As you already noticed, mbmon is no good in recent hardware. It works
>> successfully in my 865-based systems though.
>> As others have said, I would recommend adding a rear out-take fan. Do
>> not rely on the PSU's fan to take all the warm air out. The PSU
>> generates heat on its own, and the fan may not be sufficient. A rear
>> out-take fan should be located rather high - at CPU height - since warm
>> air always goes up. This is where most cases have a place for the fan
>> anyway.
>>
> It is indeed as you say. The fans on my case are:
> the PSU fan, one takeout fan just below the PSU and the CPU fan.
> It is a medium tower size case. The thing is on the bottom PCI slot
> i have installed a Kodicom 4400 for video capture for use with zoneminder,
> (the FreeBSD port is available from the zoneminder site)
> and right above that a LML video capture card.
> and then while capturing 5 full frame-rate (25fps) cameras in zoneminder
> a) the load never falls below 0.4 even while no users use it (it is our family workstation as well:)
> b) all the heat from the kodicom flows higher to the CPU/memory area of the case
>
> Having said that, the issue with the temperature must not be my thing :(
> after kldload coretemp, i get
> [achix at panix ~]% sysctl -a | grep tempera
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 40,0C
> dev.cpu.0.temperature: -1
> [achix at panix ~]%
> The first always is stuck to 40 and dev.cpu.0.temperature to -1.

This  -1 probably means your CPU is not supported. The man page says
"Intel Core or newer" CPUs, and as I understand this is specific to
Intel and will not work on AMD. It works fine on my core2duo laptop. I
don't know if it works with the earlier Intel CoreDuo (not core2duo)

Assuming the heat is what is actually causing you the problems, your
options are rather limited: Move to a bigger case with options for
better ventilation (maybe 12cm fans in front / rear) or use fans with
higher CFM ratings (that will also make it more noisy, one more factor
to consider). I currently have a machine with a 25cm side fan.
Completely noiseless, and always runs cool.